Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January Is Not Our Month

I am really not a superstitious person. But I've come to the point where I don't even like to think about January.

First, we had this January. And then this one. And now, Collin has mysteriously contracted some kind of stomach virus that has brought things around this house screeching to a halt. That's three for three, folks. It's enough to make you wonder what it is about January that send Collin into a retching tailspin.

As you may remember from early June, stomach bugs and the ketogenic diet don't mix well. It's a constant struggle to balance ketone levels, hydration levels, sufficient calories, and foods that are easy on the tummy (not fatty foods, which is problematic). So far, it hasn't been nearly as bad as his experience in June, I'm sure partially due to antibodies and partially to all of the lessons we learned from that debacle.

Of course, the added complication with Collin is that he can't tell us anything. No matter how many strategies I may have learned in June, how to apply them is based solely on my best guess. Collin isn't looking good. Is he weak and needs more calories? Is he nauseous and needs a break for his tummy? Are his ketones shooting up? Wait, the ketone monitor says they're low. That's strange, considering how few calories he's been getting. Well, that means no Pedialyte or plain broth because of the carbs. So I can either give him some cream and fruit or plain water or nothing. I can't tell for sure which is the best, so I have to just pick one and see what he does. Not only is it a totally unsatisfying way to try to care for your child when he's ill, but it makes my brain hurt.

So, we're hunkering down and canceling everything and doing our best. It's the only good plan we have and we're hoping it keeps us out of the hospital this time.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh. You're not superstitious. June used to be a TOTAL jerk to us. Of course, last year Amos was born in June so we're trying to give it another chance. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you guys this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Praying for you guys, I'm so sorry Collin is sick! Let me know if you need anything (Dinner! Chocolate! Petitions to remove January form the calendar?!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete