Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reasons to Smile

Today, Collin went to school for the first time. VIPS (Visually Impaired Preschool Services) is an amazing resource with a great facility and they have a 'class' for kids 0-3 on Wednesdays called "Play and Learn", or PAL. We've been meaning to go for about a year, but part of that time Collin was immunosuppressed and part of the time he was having seizures and part of the time I was crazy busy and part of the time I was avoiding trying something new. But we got ourselves together and went today, and boy was it awesome.

Collin got to be with some other kids and I got to talk to some other moms facing similar struggles. And we played. It was great. Collin seemed to genuinely enjoy himself (though he pooped out and got overstimulated part way through). He sat in a kid-sized bean bag and played with new toys and sat at a kid-sized table and made a craft. He had quite a bit of help, but he MADE A CRAFT, PEOPLE. With Ms. Margaret's assistance, he made a watermelon out of a paper plate. I literally had to bite my lip when she handed it to me to take home. I guess that was one of those things I wasn't sure I would ever get to experience. And when I got home, I put it on the refrigerator and called Kyle and cried like a big baby.

We ended our school morning in the sensory room, which is wonderful for kids with all kinds of special needs. As the big brother of one of the kids said, "It's like magic in here." Collin loved the bubble tower and did great in the lighted ball pit. I was so proud of him and felt so welcomed by the people there. I've been smiling about it all day.

9 comments:

  1. Ummmm...I have several things.

    1. I cried like a big old baby when I read this so you're not alone!
    2. I would like to play in the lighted ball pit. Can that be arranged?
    3. How many girlfriends did Collin have when they saw his luscious locks? Be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BIG BIG reasons to smile!!!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have been smiling from ear to ear since reading about Collin's first day of school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie - the first day of school - that is TERRIFIC!!!!!! I'm glad this made you soooo happy and Collin, too! And a craft to boot - absolutely awesome! Bubbles sounds like lots of fun, no wonder it was great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm smiling too :) He looks like he had a lot of fun in the pictures. I'm so glad that you did too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your joy is contagious, Annie...big smiles happening here, too!

    DeEtte

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love following your life on this website. Congratulations on a great first day at school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tears of Joy at the Morgan Household also. Do they let grown ups get in with the bubbles because I think it would help me get through work on some days. We love you Collin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great day for you guys!! I love all the pictures - each for its own reason. In picture #1 Collin looks like he's reading a book and has just gotten to his favorite part. In picture #2 that sweet kissable face of his just makes me grin from ear to ear and in picture #3 he looks just like a water baby that has woken up in a bed of enchanted pearls. The many faces of our beautiful Collin. :-)

    ReplyDelete