Monday, July 19, 2010

Keeping Up

I'm having a hard time handling Collin's awesomeness myself, so I'll try not to overwhelm you today.

Thursday during aquatherapy, Collin's wonderful therapist was bragging on how well Collin was doing and decided to push him by trying something she didn't expect him to be able to do yet. She faced Collin away from her, leaned him to one side, and said, "Sit up, please, Collin." And darned if that little booger didn't start wiggling and kicking until he got himself into and upright position, holding up his own head. I thought it was a fluke, so she did it again the other way. And then leaned him farther over. And then he did it four times with me. I was crying right there in the pool. It was amazing. Apparently, we're going to have to be careful what we say around Collin if he's understanding that much more than we thought.

Saturday, we drove to Cincinnati for Collin's quarterly NACD evaluation. Bob was really pleased with the progress he's seeing. Collin laughed and squealed and put on a big show to demonstrate how much he's interacting with us these days. We haven't received our new therapy program yet, but we know it's going to include LOTS more tummy time, stickers in his palms to make him more aware of his hands, and maybe some exercises to increase lung capacity.

This weekend, Collin also debuted on the piano. He often sits in my lap while I play and LOVES it, but he has always lacked the interest and/or ability to push the keys down himself. He wouldn't extend his arms enough to even reach the keys without bending all the way over, and when he did, he would ball up his hands. Apparently, something clicked this week, though, because when I sat him up on my lap, he stuck his arms out like he wanted to try, so we did and he pushed the keys down by himself numerous times. I had a flashback to a picture of myself pretending to play the piano at my Grandma's house when I was little and got teary. This picture goes out to Aunt Aimee.

Today, we saw Collin's nutritionist and found out that Collin has gained ANOTHER 11 ounces, which blows my mind since we haven't increased his calories since March. BUT, his fat stores haven't increased again either, which makes us think that the weight he's gaining is in muscle, which is FANTASTIC. He also grew another quarter of an inch, and -- here's the kicker -- his head grew .7 centimeters! IN THREE WEEKS! You should see his growth curve. It's almost vertical. That means he's back on the chart for head growth! (Barely, and he's hanging on right below the 3rd percentile, but we'll take it!) I guess his craniosacral work, healthy diet, and lots of specific input to stimulate development is finally adding up.

We also had a visit from Collin's OT this morning and she suggested working on Collin's hand awareness and feeding all at once by trying to eat by mouth. I kind of chuckled to myself, knowing it wouldn't work and that he wouldn't cooperate, but I put a big gob of carrots and butter in his hand when she left and his eyes got all big and after a couple of tries, he let me put it in his mouth and licked his fingers! This is huge for a kid who hasn't wanted to use his hands OR mouth for a long, long time.

Phew. I'm exhausted just writing all of this. If he didn't have to take naps, I would never get a chance to catch my breath so I could keep up with him.

11 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful! Way to go Collin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy guacamole, Batman!!!

    I stopped doing a happy dance just long enough to type this!

    PS Don't think I didn't notice you cute that baby's hair. Because I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me cry. But in a good good way. You are indeed awesome, Collin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie, I've been meaning to reply to the last post, and when I saw this one, I was simply overwhelmed with joy for you and your family... Reading these updates and seeing these pictures makes me say, "This is awesome and incredible and God is good." I cannot believe how BIG he looks... It's like he suddenly sprouted and looks like a big ol' one year old! I especially love the one at the piano... Talk about a blast from the past -- you look like the childhood Anna in the picture on your fridge, except you're holding your own little baby... I'm really yearning for a visit to the 'Ville... We're already thinking October or November! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Collin, you are giving us joy upon joy with all of these leaps in development you're making! And what do you think? Is there music in those fingers? I can't wait to find out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. Boy, Annie, that picture of you and Collin at the piano sure does take me back. If I squint my brain just a little I can still feel you sitting in my lap, trying to hold onto you while you gobbled up that keyboard with your hands. You were never happy with just the keys in the middle - Oh no - you had to claim ALL OF THEM!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yippee! I never doubted it, but Collin is a champ in every way. How wonderful to experience so much progress at once. Sending you all love and hugs and hoping to see you again soon. Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Despite your efforts to prevent it, I am OVERWHELMED with Collin's awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel Collin should be the poster child for aquatherapy! I'm definitely a believer. I can't wait to see what happens with his next batch of NACD therapies! And don't forget to steal a few winks when he's napping...it sounds like you'll need the extra energy to keep up with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow wow wow!!! It brings me to tears. These kids are truely a blessing and amaze me daily. I know you can't stop smiling! This blog is def what I needed to read today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! so good to hear friend! And that picture of you and Collin at the piano is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete