Tuesday, April 27, 2010

NACD Eval

Well, after sitting still on interstate for over an hour Friday afternoon, we finally made it to our NACD evaluation - a bit late. Mr. Doman was very understanding, though, and the evaluation was nothing short of a success.

He asked a lot of questions about Collin's program and progress, tested some of his responses and his vision, and just generally observed him while we talked. At one point, he said, "Well, I think you might have brought a different kid this time." I almost scooted out of my chair with excitement. He agreed that we have accomplished our two main overarching goals these past 3 months - to get a handle on the balance we want to strike between seizures and medicines and to focus on getting Collin globally more aware and responsive. He was very pleased with the way Collin's processing has improved and we had a thought-provoking conversation about adaptive equipment that I am still thinking through.

We don't have Collin's new program yet, but should be getting it soon. We got a few pointers on some of the activities we will be continuing and have just been plugging along with our old program in the meanwhile.

On a not-as-awesome side note, I wiped out during my second to last training run last night. I was feeling good and making great time, but when I swerved to miss some rotten wood in the road, I wiped out. I mean, totally wiped out. As in, phone 20 feet down the street, iPod disconnected from the headphones and across the road, skinned knee, gravel in the elbow, twisted ankle, fell-straight-forward-but-ended-up-on-my-back kind of wipe out. I did make it home on my own, miraculously, but then things stiffened up and I'm not sure what I'll be doing on race day this weekend. I'm trying not to be too devastated.

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've registered and paid for at least two or three races and not been able to do them at all. It's always disappointing, but just remember it's not your one and only chance if you're not able to do it. There are about a million races you can choose from and they're pretty much all annual. And if you wind up being able to, whether you hobble, walk or run it's still 5k. I don't recommend hobbling 5k though ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. From someone to whom the very thought of actually running two feet sends chills up my spine, I am so impressed that you trained to the point where it was physically possible to run a 5k. I sincerely hope that you are able to finish your goal, but if not, come over to Schnitzelburg one weekend when you're feeling better. You can run and we'll set up a few watering spots and cheering sections for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you heal quickly!
    Thanks for the NACD CDs! I am so excited about the program! Bertrand and I are looking forward to listening to them in the evenings later this week. :) (My MIL arrives tomorrow so now I am cleaning like a madwoman!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doesn't matter whether you run or not. You are already a winner in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man! Don't you hate that feeling when you've just tripped/lost your balance/twisted your ankle and realized that there is NO WAY you can recover? It's phenomenal how many thoughts run through your mind from the "uh oh" moment to the actual splat on the ground. I just did this myself as a matter of fact. Nothing like wiping out on the playground in front of grades 1-3!!!

    It is so exciting to hear what the NACD guy had to say. Of course we all knew he had progressed bunches and bunches, but it's great to hear it affirmed. Yay, Collin!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As with everything that happens in life - it happens for a purpose so maybe the preparation for the race was the goal, not the race itself. Good luck if you get to run.

    Amazing news about Collin - ready for new goals. Cheers to Collin and his awesome mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at it this way - you have actual road wounds! That's hardcore whether you run the race or not.

    ReplyDelete