Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Movin' On Up

I finally heard back from the dietician this morning and we got the all-clear to move from a 3:1 to a 3.5:1 ratio. This means that a greater percentage of Collin's daily intake will be comprised of fat, which should increase the number of ketones in his blood and brain. The hope is that this will improve seizure control and maybe even prevent breakthroughs for things like teething (he actually has 4 teeth breaking skin at the same time right now) and other stresses.

The change involves using a little less ketocal powder when I mix Collin's formula and instead adding some unprocessed coconut oil. We're going to give him the new ratio at every other feed for a day or so to reduce side effects from the change, but are still hoping to see some results soon, because we (especially Collin) are ready to kick these seizures and get back to 'normal' life.

5 comments:

  1. Praying that he adjusts well and quickly and that this stops the seizures. Give him a kiss and squeeze from me; I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang Collin! 4 teeth at the same time?! No wonder you've been trying to chew your paci in half for a couple of weeks now. Shew, that stresses me out too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In all seriousness, I feel like he should have more teeth than me at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Collin! The coconut oil also really helps with constipation too, or so I've heard. Is it kind of sad that such concerns dominate my thoughts? Nah. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! That's a lot of teeth!
    Here's to coconut oil.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete