Sunday, October 18, 2009

You Have Got to Be Kidding Me

So, I was thinking this morning. I thought to myself, 'Self, I don't think we have quite enough going on right now. I don't think our life has reached quite the point of craziness that I would like to see. What should we do about that?' Well, I tapped my foot and a stroked my chin and then held up my crooked little finger and cried, 'I've got it! Hives! Huge, gross, scary-looking hives! Hives all over my body! Hives with no discernible cause! Hives that don't respond to antihistamines! That's the ticket!' 'Self,' I replied with a smile, 'you're a genius.'

Then I felt a little itch on my wrist. There were little bumps like tiny little mosquito bites. The itching steadily got worse and started to throb and in the time it took me to say, "Kyle! Look at these cute little hives!" my whole forearm was a giant hive. In an hour, it started to disappear and I thought the fun was over, but it soon reappeared on my upper arm - and stomach and back and legs and face. (Kyle gave me a sad look when they got up my neck to my cheek. 'It looks like California on your face,' he said.)

Luckily, it's Sunday and Kyle is home to take care of Collin, because I've spent the whole day trying not to completely lose my mind from the itching by slathering various creams, using cold compresses, and taking oatmeal baths (except that I can't put my left arm in the bath because I still have stitches from the SURGERY I JUST HAD LAST WEEK). I have NO idea what I'm reacting to, as I haven't used or eaten anything different recently. Hopefully, it works itself out in short order, because we have a week full of therapies and appointments ahead of us and I don't get time off for hives.

3 comments:

  1. Acckk!!! You may need to stop talking to your "self". It sounds like it causes trouble. I very much hope they go away fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you a million dollars it's the Not Flu. Most hives are caused by viruses. I learned this when I had crazy crazy crazy hives our first year of marriage. I would also bet you have not taken enough antihistamines - mainly because you are still awake. When I went to the ER, they gave me enough antihistamines to knock out a horse. I should have just stayed home and taken an entire box Benedryl of.

    They'll go away. Don't worry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "No rest for the weary..."

    I read this today, too, and it made me think of you:

    "Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right, and stopping the leaks in the roof, and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably, and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself."
    - C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity (London: William Collins, 1970), 172.

    God is building one heck of a house at the Kratzsches. We love you!

    ReplyDelete