Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Smooch for Social Security

Ever wondered what it would look like for a miniature, grouchy, teething sumo wrestler in tiny glasses to eat pureed carrots? Me too. And here you go. I think he may even have swallowed some of it.

That's right. Thanks to his steroid meds, Collin-San from the ACTH days has returned, which means that his already squinty eyes - along with the rest of his facial features - are being slowly eaten whole by his colossal cheeks. Thank goodness we're weaning the prednisone, because he can barely push back his bulgy face rolls to open his eyes. I'm not kidding. Believe it or not, his eyes are open in this picture.

We are currently in the process of applying for a Medicaid Waiver to help us out with all of Collin's medical expenses and the first step of said process is to apply for Social Security. Even though we knew we would be denied based on income, we packed up an impressive stack of medical records and prepared to spend most of the morning downtown. Imagine our surprise when we were called back for our appointment at 9:00 EXACTLY and were out the door in 15 minutes. We kind of stumbled outside in a daze, totally thrown off by how efficient and cooperative our representative had been. So, I am sending a big smooch on the cheek to Social Security for making ONE of our tasks smooth and easy. I can think of a few doctors' offices that could take a page out of their book.

CASE IN POINT: I had to call Dr. Awesome's office SIX TIMES today in order to get our B6 prescription called into the compounding pharmacy. The pharmacy was incredible, as usual, and had the solution made up and waiting for the doctor's call so we could have it today. So here's a smooch for them, too.

We ended the day on a high note when I got a wild hair and decided to try Collin in his suspended bouncy seat even though he can't sit up at all and can only hold his head up for a few seconds at a time. We packed him in with blankets within an inch of his life, and the result made my week. This video comes at the request of Nana and Grandad.

Big Boy from Annie Kratzsch on Vimeo.

9 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure he enjoys that so much because it enables him to improve his sumo squat. Just a guess ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. collin in the bouncy seat = ridiculously cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. he's so dang cute! i just want to give HIM a big smooch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E.

    Love, love, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great video. All the girls in our house got a huge laugh out of the picture of Collin eating carrots. even Ryann (17 months) was laughing. Sage (6) wanted him to come live with us because he is "Soooo cute". I think he has a fan club!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Collin, you're a baby after my own heart. Who could enjoy their food any more than that? And hey! I think that's enough of the "squinty eyes" talk! Tell Collin I can relate totally - my eyes weren't open in ONE of Bec's wedding pictures - so tell Collin-San that if he wants to form a club for people who are gifted at squinting, I want to join!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm almost positive that carrots are one of the few foods that transfer nutrients through osmosis. I'm thinking of smearing some on my face tonight; Elliott is an old pro.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's awesome, Annie! Totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie,
    I love this. Thank you so much for sharing. Collin looks so great bouncing around in the chair and eating carrots too. You go Collin!

    ReplyDelete