Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Week That Wouldn't End

Because we hadn't had enough this week, Friday morning we went to the ENT just to make sure Collin doesn't have an ear infection and that his tiny ear canals and snorty throat don't pose a problem. Turns out everything looks fine except that there may be some fluid behind his ears that could be muffling his hearing somewhat. The words "put in tubes" got thrown out there, at which point I said something to the effect of "Whoa there, partner. We've got bigger fish to fry." So, we'll reassess in a couple of months.

The most interesting part of the visit was when the doctor used this fancy tool that really looked like tiny torture devices used under a magnifying glass to clear out Collin's earwax (and there was a lot of it surprisingly) and see through the tiny space to the eardrum. The nurse had to hold Collin's head very still while I held his arms and stabilized his body. I'm not sure if it was the feeling of something cold in his ear or that he has always hated to be held down, but after a few minutes of it, I started to see his bottom lip come out and his brow furrow. And then he cried. It was a strange cry, like it was coming from far away, but it was definitely Collin's cry. Now, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I have barely heard a sound out of Collin for almost a month because of the Topamax and he stopped crying altogether soon after he went on it, so I was bizarrely thrilled to hear this. On the other hand, I figured it must be pretty awful to make him react like that, considering that he got stuck in every limb of his body yesterday and didn't make a peep. Everybody (because Collin is some kind of magnet for medical office staff) kept commenting on how well he was doing since they're used to typical baby cries, and one well-meaning lady wanted to talk to me about how beautiful he was while I was holding my child down and looking at his distressed little red face. Apparently I didn't do a good job of keeping my feelings off of my face, because that didn't last long.

Things got considerably better after this point: leisurely lunch with Collin's uncle and grandfather, long Collin-and-Mama nap on the couch, and the first walk riding in the stroller like a big boy! Hooray for weekends!

Side Note: Kyle was very concerned about the move from the carseat to the stroller seat because A) don't we need to be able to see him? and B) there's nothing to protect him from dogs this way. What a great and entertaining daddy.

10 comments:

  1. We just laughed at this. We could see the two of you peering over Collin in the stroller and Kyle expressing his hesitation (I don't know if that's how it happened...but that's how we pictured it). Once again your words captured it wonderfully :). And way to go putting a stop to the tubes, for now at least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Annie- I just started reading your blog daily. Ok, I was a little behind with school starting and everything else, but I think I am caught up now, at least with all of August. Pretty much each time I read your blog, I cry. Mostly for different reasons. Sometimes because the sweet and the bitter mix together in a real-life version of a movie that has not been made yet about a little boy named Collin. Sometimes because it is so so hard and you (three) have been so strong. Somtimes because it is unfair. Sometimes because it is damn funny. And I wasn't going to post utnil I read the older message about how you wanted to hear from us (OK- I knew that you were talking about me, specifically). I know that you and Collin have many fans, but count us in, too. Max and Mark and I pray for baby Collin each and every night. Max doesn't say much, but I know that he is thinking of his little buddy just the same. I made Mark read the blog as well. Mark doesn't say much at prayer time either, but maybe that is because I talk enough for all 3 of us?!

    So I just wanted to say that I am reading and praying and crying and laughing and my heart is with you through this crazy time. I read your 6 month "toast" and I know that it is true.

    To Big Boy Collin: Enjoy the new view in your stroller!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dogs?

    Kyle, you're too hilarious.

    Love to you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicholas is right. I don't think Kyle actually likes dogs. It's all a front.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle can use my scary-dogs-on-my-walk-strategy: grab Sam out of the stroller, tip the stroller over, put Sam under the stroller, use my crazy mommy super powers to scare the bad dogs away. I've yet to use this wonderful strategy but I'm sure it will work.....right?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forget the dogs -- what about adoring yet unknown fans who just want to kiss his awesome cheeks?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. But see, Collin is a champ, right? He'll scare away the scary dogs himself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fluid Collin has in his ears may well be cleared up once you get him on Prednisone. It is one of the primary drugs used to treat inner ear infections.

    ReplyDelete
  9. maybe you should take james on walks with collin. he doesn't like dogs and usually casts menacing glares at anyone with a dog that walks by so they are sure to stay away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey - started reading your blog after being in CG with Tessa and we were praying for you guys. I just had to let you know I am following and praying still - and that I laughed pretty hard about the dog comment too! :)

    ReplyDelete