Monday, August 24, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

I know it's late August, but this was Mother's Day weekend for me. For kids, husbands, etc., Mother's Day is about honoring and caring for mothers, but for mothers it's about something much tougher: letting yourself be honored and cared for. It's no easy task, but rewarding in the extreme. And since I sort of missed my first Mother's Day in May (a fact I'll explain in another post soon), I claim this one instead.

Saturday morning was full of some of my favorite things: yardsaling, the farmer's market (where I bought peaches and flowers), hot coffee and scones, and my sister. Then I went home and took a delicious cuddle nap with Collin while we waited for our friends, the Hollands, to spend the afternoon with us. When they showed up, I learned that Sarah and Kyle had 'conspired against me,' as Sarah put it, to surprise me with an afternoon at the movies with Sarah. After a tea latte and Harry Potter 6, we went home to find the husbands preparing us a dinner of fried green tomato BLTs. Deee-licious. Next, my sister came over to hang out with Collin while Kyle and I went to a concert I had been dying to see - tickets generously and thoughtfully supplied by my brother-in-law. This was the first time either of us had missed Collin's bedtime regimen, which was hard, but we could rest easy knowing his aunt would take good care of him and I spent the evening enjoying my favorite band, shoulder-to-shoulder with my favorite person. But we both missed Collin something fierce and ended up pulling him out of bed when we got home for a few minutes of snuggles.

Sunday morning we had a scrumptious breakfast at my mother-in-law's house, followed by a fun visit with the family, and then went home to take a nap. Finally, we enjoyed the beautiful afternoon by strolling around the zoo (those are the elephants playing in the water behind me and Collin).

As Kyle said to me this morning, I can't remember the last time we had such an enjoyable weekend. Even when opportunities for fun present themselves, we're often either too exhausted or the logistics just don't work out with Collin's schedule. Not to mention the fact that neither one of us is very good at temporarily putting aside responsibilities to do the important work of having fun. But I think we are finally realizing that it's critical. In order to best take care of Collin, we have to take care of ourselves and allow ourselves to be taken care of.

6 comments:

  1. Wise words Grasshopper. You guys having fun is good for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee!! I'm so glad to hear that you had such a fun weekend. (By the way, your list of favorite things closely resembles my own.)

    I put Collin's blogspot in the Grassy Creek bulletin and many people are getting on to keep up with you. Many, many prayers coming your way.

    Love you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH! Overpriced coffee and Harry Potter! :)

    Also I would just like you to know my husband ALWAYS whines to let me get the baby out of bed if we get home after his bedtime and I never cave. You have just made that harder. I can hear it now, "BUT Annie and Kyle do it!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to having fun, sister! =) We are overjoyed at your recent afternoon delights. You guys are inspiring, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If Hallmark can make up "Sweet Heart's" Day, you can choose to celebrate Mother's Day whenever you want (and as often as you want).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know no one who deserves such a special weekend as much as you! And kuddos for recognizing that having fun is important work!

    ReplyDelete