Sunday, July 26, 2009

Goodbye ACTH

This is a picture of $80,000. No, I'm not kidding. Collin is officially the most expensive kid I know (and worth every penny, I might add). Don't worry, we have great insurance.

Collin got his last shot of ACTH today, a fact which generates mixed feelings in me. On one hand, it makes me sad because we had so hoped that it would eliminate his spasms, especially since it is supposed to be the big guns of treatment for Infantile Spasms. It has definitely had an impact on the intensity and number of spasms, but it just didn't do the job. On the other hand, I'm thrilled to see it go. When ACTH leaves, so does Zantac, blood pressure checks, twice daily blood sugar checks, daily shots in the leg, and hopefully Collin the Terrible, who has been staying at our house for a few weeks.

In related news, Collin's Didi bought him the greatest swing today, which produced his five calm minutes of the day. As a bonus, it also has music, lights, and cool fishtank-like things on the sides. I'm sure it will make his therapists giddy with delight.

We had a few episodes of spasms this morning, which is always really discouraging, particularly since one had shaking after the spasms again. However, he did open his eyes a couple of times and didn't skip a beat when we changed out his g-tube this afternoon.

1 comment:

  1. Holy Guacamole! I didn't know $80,000 could come in such a tiny adorable package!

    Hopefully, just because this is the usually the big gun of treatment doesn't mean there won't be another one for Collin.

    ReplyDelete